The Churches of Venice
In terms of accessibility, Venice's churches may be divided into six main categories:
- Churches that are free to enter and which are open all day.
- Churches that are free to enter but which close during the middle of the day.
- Churches that charge a small admission fee but which are open all day.
- The fifteen churches which are members of Chorus. Admission to each church is €3, but for €12 a pass can be bought which allows admission to all fifteen churches. The pass, which is valid for a year, is probably the best bargain to be had in Venice.
- Churches that never seem to be open!
- Churches that have been de-consecrated and converted into other uses.
There were once 153 churches in Venice, of which 39 have been demolished. The present number of churches in the city is 114.
Copyright © David Lown 2001-2016. All rights reserved.