Although a church dedicated to Saint Barnabas has stood on this site since the early 9th century, the current church only dates back to the middle of the 18th century.
The church of San Barnaba was designed by Lorenzo Boschetti (1709-72).
Over time the parish of San Barnaba became home to many impoverished noblemen, who were given apartments by the Republic. Too proud to work (and thereby lose their noble status) and too incompetent to hold down an office of government, they led lives of shabby gentility and were known as Barnabotti.
Copyright © David Lown 2001-2016. All rights reserved.