The church of San Basso was founded in 1076 and after several restorations was rebuilt between 1675-8.
The design was formerly attributed to Giuseppe Benoni, but is now thought to be the work of Baldassare Longhena. The upper part of the façade was never completed.
San Basso was closed in 1809 when it became a workshop for the restoration of the nearby basilica. The church is now a venue for concerts. The interior is made up of a single nave, once flanked by altars. All of the original fittings have been dispersed.
Copyright © David Lown 2001-2016. All rights reserved.